Literature and Music in Autumn
- Oct 21, 2010
- Dianna Babcock & Cheryl Henningsgaard
Early childhood literature abounds with autumn themes. Whether it’s about the leaves changing color, animals and their habitats or autumn holidays, “seasonal” music is also associated with autumn, too. MacPhail Center for Music provides the community with authentic music education experiences, and this listening list is only a small selection of music you can utilize.
This article will highlight music that can be used to facilitate autumn themes. Using “Autumn” music in tandem with literature through storytelling, art/visual process, and creative movement will create an integrated arts experience. Next week we will list integrated music teaching ideas using the selection we have complied for you.
Musical selections listed below are based upon a rich tradition of autumn and harvest songs and also include selections that you can find on YouTube, making these listening opportunities more accessible to you and also your families. Start listening and use your own creativity.
One of the featured instruments for autumn musical selections includes the Harpguitar. This instrument was very popular in the United States between the early to mid 1900s, and is demonstrating an increased popularity through the world. Many of the Harpguitar selections listed have an introspective, melancholy sound, a sound and feeling associated with autumn.
Harpguitar Listening Selections:
- Emmet’s Rising, Andy Wahlberg
- Sea Rose Beach, Stephen Bennett
- Lady Pamela, Muriel Anderson
Jazz & Band Selections:
- Autumn Leaves. Henry Mancini
- Moonlight Serenade, Glenn Miller
- Autumn Leaves, Stan Gerz, Miles Davis, Winton Marsalis
- Black Beauty, Duke Ellington
- Autumn Leaves, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Carly Simon
- Moonlight, Bob Dylan
- Don’t Sit Under The Apple Tree, Andrew Sisters
- Harvest Moon, Neil Young
- The Four Seasons, “Autumn,” Vivaldi
- Simple Gifts, Aaron Copeland
- Haymaker’s Hoedown, Gemini Rhythmically Moving
- Turkey In The Straw, folk melodies, Gemini Rhythmically Moving
- Simple Gifts, Jim Brickman
- Weepin’ Willow, Cascades, Scott Joplin
- Autumn Leaves, Piano Duets
© MacPhail Center for Music, 2010