This touring exhibit traces the history of the Negro Baseball League and many outstanding African American players who contributed to the game in Minnesota. The exhibition is hosted by MELSA member libraries and supported by Minnesota’s Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund.
They Played for the Love of the Game was curated by Frank M. White and developed by the Ramsey County Historical Society. The original exhibit was on display at the Landmark Center in 2010, and the touring exhibit that MELSA libraries are hosting was fabricated by RCHS.
- January-February, 2011: Ramsey County Library, Maplewood Library, 3025 Southlawn Drive, Maplewood
- March 2011: Scott County Library, Part of the exhibit will be on view at Belle Plaine Library, 125 West Main Street, Belle Plaine
- March 2011: Scott County Library, Part of the exhibit will be on view at New Prague Library, 400 Main Street East, New Prague
- April 2011: Scott County Library, Shakopee Library, 235 Lewis St. South, Shakopee
- May-June 2011: Anoka County Library, Mississippi Branch Library, 410 Mississippi St. NE, Fridley
- July-August 2011: Dakota County Library, Burnhaven Library, 1101 West County Road 42, Burnsville
- September-December 2011: Saint Paul Public Library, Rondo Library, 461 N Dale St., St. Paul
- MinnPost: "Black baseball in Minnesota: A son's search for history"
- Star Tribune: "The other boys of summer"
- North Metro TV: "Baseball's untold stories"
Read more about the subject:
- Baseball’s Great Experiment, Jackie Robinson and His Legacy, Jules Tygiel
- Baseball in Minnesota: A Definitive History, Stew Thornley
- Black Diamond, The Story of the Negro Baseball Leagues, Patricia C. McKissack and Fredrick McKissack, Jr.
- Carew, Rod Carew and Ira Berkow
- Curveball: The Remarkable Story of Toni Stone the First Woman to Play Professional Baseball in the Negro League, Martha Ackmann
- Early Black Baseball in Minnesota: The St. Paul Gophers, Minneapolis Keystones and Other Barnstorming Teams of the Deadball Era, Todd Peterson
- Promises To Keep, How Jackie Robinson Changed America, Sharon Robinson
- Puck! Kirby Puckett: Baseball's Last Warrior, Chuck Carlson
- Satchel, The Life and Times of an American Legend, by Larry Tye
- The Soul of Baseball, A Road Trip Through Buck O’Neil’s America, Joe Posnanski
- Swinging for the Fences: Black Baseball in Minnesota, Steven R. Hoffbeck
- We Are The Ship, The Story of Negro League Baseball, Kadir Nelson